Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the Continental-Aero Online Resources page. Below you will find some of our literature, tutorials, and frequently asked questions (FAQ). If you can't find the information here, please email us at email@example.com and we will have someone get back to you within 24 hours.
Q. Where can i get a copy of your most recent iso cert?
Our current ISO Cert can be downloaded here.
Q. What is a PPAP?
The purpose of a PPAP package is to provide the evidence that all customer requirements (i.e., Tolerances on blueprints, Special or Key Characteristics, Plating, etc.) and other specification requirements are properly understood by the supplier and that the supplier process (i.e., manufacturing) has the potential to produce product consistently meeting the customer requirements during an actual production run.
Q. What are the submission levels of PPAPs?
- Level I
- Level II
- Level III
- Level IV
- Level V
The customer will note which submission level they require.
Q. What Information is Required for a Specified Submission Level PPAP?
- Level I - Warrant Only
- Level II - Warrant with samples and limited supporting documentation (PSW, Blueprint, Dimensional, Performance and Material results Only)
- Level III - Warrant with samples and a complete documentation
- Level IV - Warrant and other requirements as defined by the customer
- Level V - Warrant with samples and complete documentation reviewed at the manufacturing location (Extremely rare to be requested)
Q. What Is the Required Documentation Data?
|Required Documentation||Level I||Level II||Level III||Level IV||Level V|
|Design Record (Blueprint)||N||Y||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Engineering Change Documents, if any||*||*||*||*||*|
|Customer Engineering Approval, if required||*||*||*||*||*|
|Failure Modes Effect Analysis (FMEA)||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Process Flow Diagram||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Control Plan||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Measurement System Analysis Studies||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Dimensional Results||N||Y||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Material Results with Material Certificate||N||Y||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Performance Results||N||Y||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Initial Process Studies (SPC for Special or Key Characteristics)||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Laboratory Certificate||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Appearance Approval Report, if applicable||Y||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|International Material Data System Reporting (IMDS)||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Samples||N||Y||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Records of Compliance (i.e., Plating Certs, SST, etc.)||N||N||Y||Customer Requested||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|Part Submission Warrant (PSW)||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y - viewed at manfucaturing location|
|* - If applicable|
Q. What Are Special or Key Characteristics and Where Can They Be Found?
- Special or Key Characteristics are product characteristics or manufacturing process parameters which can affect safety or compliance with regulations to FIT, FORM, FUNCTION, performance or subsequent processing of product.
- Special or Key Characteristics can be found:
- Next to the specification on a blueprint
- In the notes section of a blueprint
- In the text of a customer supplier document
NOTE: Whenever a Special or Key Characteristic is noted by the customer, SPC shall be performed by the manufacturer and documentation provided.
Q. What Are Continental-Aero's Capabilities of Creating a PPAP?
Distributors are not applicable to creating PPAPs because we are not the manufacturer of the parts, however, we can create Level I and Level II PPAPs without SPC (Special or Key Characteristics) by means of using the documentation that our suppliers have provided for us on their shipments.
Q. What Are the Costs Associated with a PPAP Package?
- If the PPAP with SPC (Special or Key Characteristics) is required, the cost from the manufacture can be from $200 to the $1000's. This must be known during the RFQ to the manufacture.
- Continental-Aero can not create PPAPs on Non-Standard, Special Parts or External Threaded - a Non-Standard, Special Part or External Threaded shall be defined as a part that is not a STANDARD and is designed specially for the End User with Special or Key Characteristics as noted on blueprints, customer standards, etc. PPAPs can only be created by the manufacturer!
- Continental-Aero Level I and Level II PPAPs (Standard Parts Only - are Continental-Aero catalog parts produced in reference to ESNA or IFI. Customer supplied blueprints will be categorized under STANDARD PARTS only if the dimensions, plating and performance criteria meets the Continental-Aero catalog, ESNA or IFI and no Special or Key Characteristics are noted) without SPC are determined by submission level required by the customer and the costs associated are non-negotiable:
- Level I - PDF version emailed (Cost: $50.00-$100.00) - [NO EDITABLE VERSION OPTIONS AVAILABLE]
- Level II (Cost: $100.00-$200.00)
- Level III (Cost: Varies by product)
- Level IV (Cost: Varies by product)
- Level V (Cost: Varies by product)
- Additional documentation costs (Non-Negotiable):
- IMDS Only - Submitted via the IMDS System without Editable & Forwarding Option (Cost: $75.00)
- IMDS Only - Submitted via the IMDS System with Editable & Forwarding Option (Cost: $100.00)
- Control Plan & FMEA Only - PDF version emailed (Cost: $150.00) [NO EDITABLE VERSION AVAILABLE]
- If parts require a Salt Spray Test, the cost is an hourly per the hours requested.
- Delivery costs (Non-Negotiable):
- PDF version emailed of a Level I, Control Plan/FMEA (Cost: FREE)
- Paper copy with samples (Cost: Prepaid By Customer) [THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY FOR SUBMITTING PPAPs]
- PDF version without editable version emailed (Cost: $100.00) and samples mailed (Cost: Prepaid By Customer)
- PDF version with editable version emailed (Cost: $200.00) and samples mailed (Cost: Prepaid By Customer)
NOTE: ALL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH A PPAP, ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION AND DELIVERY, SHALL BE NOTED ON THE SHIPPER AS A LINE ITEM.
Q. What is the Timeframe for Submitting a PPAP to the Customer?
- Missing documentation
- Documentation has typographical errors, etc.
- Specified testing has not been completed (i.e., Salt Spray Testing)
Continental-Aero Level I and Level II PPAPs - after being requested, it can take up to 24-48 hours for a PPAP that does not require testing, Secondary Process, etc.
Note: PPAPs are not created and completed on the same day of the request.